More Fun Stuff!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Quilt for Miss Addy

Last summer, my granddaughter saw a fabric quilt panel in my stash while we were looking for something to make Barbie clothes with. She loved it from the moment she saw it.  Eight months later and I am getting around to making her a snuggle quilt with the Michael Miller Sunshine Fairies panel. I bought this and another panel a few years back, so I can't find the coordinating fairy blocks to complete the quilt. I hate when that happens! My solution was to use my Janome 350E embroidery machine to make applique blocks of butterflies to place down the side of the panel. 

The pattern I used has 2 sizes and 6 different designs. I used 5 of the large 5x7 butterfly designs twice for a total of ten blocks. I used two of the 4x6 butterflies, one on a block that I embroidered my granddaughters name and one on a block that I personalized with "Butterfly Kisses from Grandma".




The panel was 22 inches wide, I added a 2 inch moss green outer border before placing the butterfly blocks on the left and right side. Very easy, just time consuming to make the applique butterfly blocks. Each block had a sewing time of between 28 minutes (the smaller image) to 58 minutes for a large block with lots of stops to change thread and trim the applique fabric. 
The finished quilt will have a outer border in brown and I am using a bright yellow minky for the back. I don't have a long arm machine or the patience to use my walking foot to quilt myself, so I will be taking to a friend to quilt for me. I'll update the post with the finished quilt in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment